INto the 219!
Time & Location
About the Event
Off-Leash Overnighter: INto the 219! is a bite-sized, lightly supported bike camping adventure. It gives you and your family a chance to sneak away by bike, spend a beautiful night of camping under the stars near Griffith, Indiana, and return Sunday morning before your busy life even knows you were gone.
Where, When, How Far
The ride leaves Saturday morning, 10:15am from Homewood Izaak Walton Nature Preserve (there's plenty of parking to leave your vehicle). The route is 25-miles including just a couple miles of quiet neighborhood streets; the rest is on beautiful and fun paved regional bike paths - Thorn Creek Trail, Pennsy Greenway, Monon Trail, Erie-Lackawana Trail, Oak Savannah Trail - to Oak Ridge Prairie county park near Griffith, Indiana, for a night of tent camping under the stars.
Take as long as you want, explore as much as you want, stop as much as you want; the route connects multiple parks, ice cream stops and breweries, and dinner isn't until 6pm at Oak Ridge Prairie where we camp for the evening (and likely stage a nighttime brewery/coffee/arcade sortie into Griffith).
We'll roll home to Homewood early Sunday morning (25 miles back), June 14 at 8am after breakfast. Kids welcome!
Saturday, June 13
- 9am - 10am Check-in
- 10am Pre-ride meeting (mandatory)
- 10:15am - 6pm Ride to Oak Ridge Prairie. Paper and electronic maps (RidewithGPS app, GPX/Garmin files) provided. Explore! Get lost! Stop and do things! Have fun! Lunch/drinks/snacks along the way are on your own.
- 6pm - 7:30pm - Dinner (on us, catered by Griffith's famous Grindhouse Cafe) at Oak Ridge Prairie. S'mores and campfire socializing afterward, and probably an entertaining nighttime sortie into Griffith, Indiana.
Sunday, June 14
- 7am - 8am Breakfast on us, catered by Grindhouse Cafe!
- 8:30am - 12pm Ride back to Homewood Izaak Walton
What you bring
Your bike loaded with the camping gear and supplies (tent or hammock, sleeping bag, snacks/food/liquids, bug spray, sunscreen, extra clothes, guitar, ghost stories, etc...) you need to enjoy spending 1-2 nights outside. (See our How-To page)
Bike campers 12- 112 years old - Early-birds pay just $50 until 5/1/19, then $65.
Bike campers 0 to 11 years old - Free
Registration limit: 100 bike campers
- IN-to the 219 - Child (0-11yr)$0$00$0
- IN-to the 219!$50$500$0
- Schlep my stuff$10$100$0